Programs and Services
WestSide Baby provides children's essentials to local families by partnering with established local social service agencies already assisting low-income families. Agencies order items from us and deliver them to families who are homeless, living in transitional housing, or simply in need of a little help during a difficult time. We are not able to do "direct service" to families but work instead through our agency partners.
Everything we collect is inspected, sorted and stored in our operations center in the White Center area of Seattle, Washington. Once the items have been evaluated, they are used to fill the wish lists of service care providers such as food and clothing banks, public health nurses, family support workers, and DSHS social workers. These service providers work directly with families and are able to assess their most urgent needs.
Since opening in 2001, we have distributed nearly $12 million in clothing, toys, diapers, safety equipment and other items. In 2013, we served more than 24,000 children!
Current List of Most Needed Items:
- Car Seats (any under 6 years old) We will recycle all others.
- High Chairs
- Portable Cribs
CLOTHING - (both gender unless noted otherwise)
- Clothing Sizes 5 - 12 (especially Pants and Pajamas)
- NEW Socks and Underwear
EVERYTHING ELSE -
- Newborn Diapers
- Pullups -Sizes 3T-4T and 4T-5T
- Hygiene Items (Wipes, Diaper Cream, Baby Shampoo)
- Childproofing/Safety Items
Full List of Accepted Items for Distribution
(all donations must be clean, contain all parts and pieces, be reusable and identifiable)
Clothes, Bedding and Basics:
- Children's Clothing (NB/0 - size 12)
- Shoes up to Youth size 3
- Diapers (opened packages OK!)
- Baby Shampoo and soap
- Diaper Cream and wipes
- Books (especially board books)
- Bottles, sippy cups and pacifiers
- Front Carriers and slings
- Child Towels and wash clothes
- Blankets and bedding (crib, toddler and twin sizes accepted)
- Breast Pumps
Equipment: Instructions are incredibly helpful. MUST have all parts, straps and work.
- Cribs-Portable and Full Size (no DROP SIDE cribs
- Crib Mattresses
- Strollers (with straps) NO Joggers please.
- High Chairs and Booster Chairs (with straps)
- Car Seats (less than 6 yrs old are re-usable)
- Baby swings
- Bouncy Seats
- Potty Chairs
- Baby Bathtubs (no bath seats)
- Diaper Pails
- Baby Backpacks
- Bumbo seats
- Changing tables
- Changing Table Pads (and covers) – no rips
- Must be compact enough to fit in an airline overhead compartment
- Must have ALL parts and pieces bundled together
- Cannot have been recalled
- Working batteries requested
- Must be donated in a semi-organized way. (please do not bring us a toy box filled with tiny pieces or an art cupboard dumped into a box)
- No play furniture or large toy items
How to Donate clothing and other items:
Make sure and clothing and equipment is clean.
Include all pieces and parts to equipment, children's games and toys. Instructions for cribs and straps for highchairs are necessary before we can pass them along. If you have them, please include them.
Please throw away or order kits for equipment that has been recalled or that is missing pieces. For information on product recalls, visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission at www.cpsc.gov
Please bring items to designated drop off sites or to our location during business hours. We can't accept donations left outside our facility and then have to pay to dispose of the items.
Thank you for supporting WestSide Baby. Your donated items are making life better for local families!